Tuesday 6 September 2016

A Letter To My Son's Nursery

Dear Nursery Teachers / Assistants,


I know you must get tons of questions and concerns from nervous parents and think that we are fretting over nothing, but mine are a little different so please bare with me whilst I explain and try to convince myself that you'll keep him safe...


You see, I've nearly lost my baby.. more times than I can count on both hands in fact but six particular moments stand out and I have flashbacks of those every single day of my life. I am so scared of it happening again and not being with him to spot the warning signs. I have saved my baby's life on numerous occasions, as has my husband, because we've picked up on things that even medical professionals didn't see. I know you've had Basic Life Support training but I will show and tell you what his unique tell tale signs of issues are and I know what I am talking about so please do not think me crazy or paranoid and take note. Hopefully there will never be any major issues but I would feel a lot better if you knew everything just in case..


Have you stressed to the other parents the importance of not sending their children to school sick? What happens if you see a child that is clearly unwell will you send them home? If there is any cases of chicken pox you need to notify us straightaway as that is very dangerous to children undergoing chemotherapy..


I know you have been told the basics about his Hickman Line, but please make sure other children do not touch him near it or he will get very upset. If there is any water play please make sure he is wearing a full frontal apron and is fully supervised to ensure none goes anywhere near his line, the same goes for sand and paint really. If he seems to be touching it a lot or rubbing it please check it is not sore around the dressing and that the dressing is still secure. When he runs around a lot he can sometimes sweat the dressing off so call me and I will come and redress it straightaway..


He shouldn't need his oxygen now really despite you all being trained on it's usage. If in ANY doubt over his breathing please call an ambulance rather than just using the oxygen in case it is something more sinister such as a collapsed lung..


Please keep in mind that when he was on life support he lost his ability to walk and although he is now fully mobile again, he is still clumsy at points. With that in mind we also had to teach him to use the potty / toilet again. He has regained bladder control but he struggles with his bowels, particularly after chemotherapy.  To save his embarrassment at the mess that is sometimes created he is in pull up pants. He gets very upset when he has an accident as he cannot often help it, PLEASE be discreet if you need to change him, I would hate the other children to pick on him over it..


If he seems feverish please check his temperature and call me at anything over 37.5 as he can escalate from a low grade fever to a high grade one in a short space of time. He has previously had febrile seizures so if this happens put him in the recovery position and phone an ambulance. He may stop breathing and you may need to use your CPR training but I hope that you never will..


I am literally putting his life in your hands. Whilst he is deemed medically stable enough to attend nursery, I know how something minor may set him back and I do have PTSD so my worries are all escalated ten fold no doubt! Just telling you these things helps me relax just a little more but I am scared deep down of leaving him. I've thought about keeping him home with me, especially with the winter months approaching. I wish I could wrap him up in cotton wool and keep him safe from germs..


But I need to let him explore and learn. I need to let him enjoy the life he has fought so hard for. I need to let him be a child between his treatments and also interact with other children. But I need him to come home safe each day as we didn't fight this hard to then lose the battle over something trivial.


Sincerely,


A Neurotic & Totally Petrified, Overbearing & Overprotective Mother


No comments:

Post a Comment