Monday 22 May 2017

High Neutrophils

Dylan's blood counts this week are a bit abnormal and I had to double check them with the hospital however they are correct. His white cell count is up at almost 7 and his neutrophils are just over 5 which is high for him, especially the week after Chemotherapy when he would usually sit between 0.5-1.5 at most.

This is a cause for concern with myself, but not with the nurses *yet as Neutrophilia (abnormally high neutrophils) is usually classed as 8 and above. However because it is higher than usual it indicates the start of an infection.

Dylan did wake up complaining of a snotty nose this morning but aside from it running a bit today and some sneezes he has no other symptoms of infection.. yet.

Typical infections to cause high neutrophils are things such as..

Staph Infections.. which Dylan previously had around this time last year actually and it caused a fever and needed a weeks worth of IV antibiotics in hospital. So I am hopeful it is not that truthfully as Mike is working 6 days this week so it would be a logistical nightmare to have a hospital admission. But needs must of course as his health is priority.

Bacterial Infections such as E-Coli or another sickness bug which is a possibility as Dylan went to a party at a soft play over the weekend where I know there has been cases previously over the years. A soft play area is a tricky place to clean properly if there has been an accident or a sick child. Dylan did have a sickness bug over Christmas and I do recall the first day we took him in his neutrophils were at 3+ then so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was sick tonight. As long as it doesn't come with a fever and doesn't persist longer than 24hrs it would be treatable at home.

It could also signify bacteria in his line so of course I am watching him for fevers more so than usual especially as his line was accessed today.

And of course viruses such as... CHICKEN POX the one ruddy virus I know he was exposed to AGAIN exactly 2 weeks ago so today would be prime timing for symptoms to be showing. Yes he is on antiviral medication but it is not fool proof and you can still develop the virus even on Acyclovir sadly. This would also mean IV antibiotics so I am on spot watch tonight as well as fever watch! Maybe I should just sleep on the floor in his bedroom!!

Typical, just as I've started to relax a bit more because we had some good news last week. Just as I'm starting to prepare for some more exciting news this week. This is not a spanner I wanted in the works right now but then I'd rather get whatever it is out of the way now than when we have plans next month I suppose..

Dylan seems fine in himself at the moment.. he is in bed (playing not sleeping little monkey) and his SATS are all ok, his heart rate isn't even elevated which it previously has done with infections. I am praying it is literally just a cold virus and we just happen to have caught his bloods the day his levels are at the highest. The hospital didn't seem concerned but they've requested the community team repeat his blood count either tomorrow or Wednesday so I should find out about that when the call to schedule it in the morning. For now I guess I just have to sit tight and wait for whatever it is to show itself and pray it is nothing serious.. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment