Sunday 5 June 2016

Hospital Admission

..but this time for me! I rang the pregnancy assesment unit on Thursday morning after having had a severe migraine for 48 hours that paracetamol wasn't resolving. I arrived at 10.30am to find my blood pressure was high (138/91) and there was now +1 of protein in my urine. This all pointed to my preeclampsia being back again as with both Bryce and Dylan..

They kept me in for monitoring and slowly things settled down with rest but they were concerned about the headache coming on so fast and so severe so they wanted me to stay in overnight and have an MRI done the next day. The reasoning behind this being that high blood pressure / preeclampsia can cause blood clots and occasionally bleeding on the brain and with this now being my third pregnancy with these issues and I am now in the 'typical' age bracket for these issues they wanted to double check.

The MRI didn't get done until 4.30pm Friday but it was only a short one, approximately half an hour long. I can't for the life of me understand why they put music through the headphones though because as soon as the machine starts you can't hear any of it! It doesn't surprise me they sedate children for it either, like Dylan, it is all very claustrophobic and a little bit overwhelming even as an adult. It's also very difficult to stay still when you've got a baby doing acrobatics in your tummy!!

I finally got discharged very late yesterday, apparently the MRI was fine which is reassuring. Now I've just got to wait for my csection and continue with extra monitoring but if my blood pressure goes up again or any other issues I'm to go back in straight away of course.

Dylan found it all very overwhelming.. When he came to visit he kept saying that he wanted to go to 'his hospital' obviously meaning the QMC and got upset and fed up very quickly. This meant that Mike couldn't stay very long unfortunately and had to take him home. He was upset whilst at home too, he kept asking for me and getting tearful but thankfully Mike was good at distracting him. It also meant more unplanned time off work for Mike which wasn't ideal now he had used up all his sick pay allowance and wasn't due paternity leave yet obviously. He also felt awful letting work down after only just going back!

I'm glad to be home so much! I know I've got to be in after my csection and I know that preeclampsia is very serious and needs to be monitored closely but it just seems silly keeping me in if they aren't planning on doing anything yet and if I now feel okay. The one good thing about my admittance though was that sitting in the family room eating breakfast I got to see lots of gorgeous newborn babies.. this finally helped me actually FINALLY feel some excitement and joy over our impending new arrival. This next few weeks hopefully will fly by and after Logan is born let's hope we can get back to some normality with limited hospital visits for a while (except for Dylan's chemo of course)...

No comments:

Post a Comment