Wednesday 17 February 2016

Our Other Superhero..

So there is another boy in our life that deserves some credit.. and that is our eldest Bryce!

He is an amazing, strong, polite and helpful young man and I couldn't be prouder of him. He has handled all this fantasically well, despite clearly being frightened at times and confused. We've tried our best to explain things to him within his level of understanding.. He is so clever and picks up on everything even if he doesn't always show it outwardly to other people. 

When he came to see Dylan in ICU last Thursday he was visibly frightened, whether it was the tubes, the fact Dylan was comatose, the monitors, or just picking up on our fear and the fact he was kept off school and brought to his brother's bedside.. Children are so perceptive and I don't doubt he knew on some level what had happened and what might happen next..

When he came on Friday, Dylan looked pretty much the same but he had been moved into a side room for infection control purposes, Bryce still looked very concerned. I made sure I told Bryce "Dylan is going to be ok, he is going to get better.." and I didn't actually feel like I was lying! Bryce's face suddenly changed and whilst still weary there was a visible smile and almost sigh of relief. He then relaxed and started asking questions about all the different equipment and what it did, bless him!

Bryce has been able to spend a lot more time with his brother this last few days and they have been just beautiful together, it melts my heart! Last night I took Bryce home, as Mike did so the night before, so I could get some bits done and some rest.. I spent the evening wrapping birthday gifts though..



It is Bryce's 6th birthday and party on Saturday and Dylan will still be in hospital.. I feel sorry for Bryce in all this too, I've barely had time to do much present shopping at all! And, obviously Dylan nor Daddy will be able to attend his party. Plus, a lot of his school friends have not replied to the invites because they were sent so last minute due to all our hospital stays. I am trying my utmost to make it as special as possible for him still and I hope he won't be too sad! However, just to prove how super Bryce is too... with NO prompting from me he said he wants to save his presents from us, take them to the hospital in the morning so he can open them with Daddy and Dylan, and he wants to make sure Dylan has a present to open too!! How completely adorable and amazing is that! Then he said we have got some save Dylan some cake of course..



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryce is a little superstar, bless him. I've worried how this would affect him but he, like his little brother, is made from strong stuff and it doesnt surprise me that he wants to save his pressies to share with dylan. He is a loving little lad and that's obvious from a photo of the 2 of them on the bed together. I think dylan trusts bryce completely and looked like he just wanted to cuddle into him and sleep. I love them both very much.xxx

    ReplyDelete